Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I am so transparent

Remember that I'm off meats right now. I was torn between Mongolian BBQ and a sandwich place for lunch. I decided to try the mongolian place because I could get noodles and veggies {yum my fave} but as I neared the door, I saw that it was a 'wait to be seated' type of place and I was by myself so I was like "nah.." so I went next door to ToGo's for a gourmet sandwich.

I walk in and the sandwich artist immediately greeted me. People in Citrus Heights are so friendly. I glanced at the menu board and instead of confidently saying "I want a veggie on white", I asked him "what kind of veggie sandwiches do you have?" He listed off a few variances of meat-free delicacies. I quickly settled on avocado and cucumber and he got going. Just keep in mind he was maybe 19 or 20 years old.

Out of nowhere, as I'm busy texting, he casually asks, "so, how long have you been vegetarian?"

Wow. I had to pause for a second to process his question. He knew me so well just by ordering an innocent avocado and cucumber sandwich. I was impressed that he knew that deep down, yes, I actually am currently vegetarian, even though ordering a veggie sandwich is a fairly common thing for me to do.

This reminds me of the time I was working at mrs. powell's and a customer showed me her ID. Her last name was Phillips, so I automatically assumed since my last name was Phillips, I should ask where she was from. She gave me a weird look and said, "oh we aren't from anywhere close to here." Even if she may actually been my third cousin's once removed aunt, I learned there is a certain employee/customer boundary, like 3-foot-wide counter, that doesn't need to be crossed. So after he asked such a presumptuous, somewhat nosy, question, I remembered to be polite as I sheepishly confessed, "two days."

The sandwich was excellent, by the way. He surely deserved a tip, but I couldn't make myself go back up to the counter for fear he'd ask if I'm trying to lose weight since I ordered a diet Pepsi.