Saturday, July 11, 2009

my BIG mistake

It was a huge mistake to go off meats. As a future dietitian I should know better. {And by future dietitian, I mean if I can pass all my classes in the next year, followed by actually getting into the program.} Ahem. So I figured I would try going off meats cold turkey to see if it made any significance to my overall health. I don't have a scale here with me, so I would go off of the tightness or slack in my clothes as an indication of weight alterations. Once again, not very scientific in the least bit, but ya know whatever.

The first week, and only week, I ate lots of dairy. I mostly snacked on cheese when I felt lightheaded. I downed an entire gallon of milk all by myself. For dinner I made scrambled eggs and for in between meals I put peanut butter on bread or saltines. I love fruits and vegetables, so of course, ate those incessantly.

I don't have any actual proof, but I'm pretty sure I put on 5 pounds just from last week. Whether or not I scarfed down 1200, if not more, calories a day, I had zero energy. Weird, since I was still eating a good amount of carbs. And more times than not, my stomach felt like it had a huge hole, even after I ate. I was insatiable. My body must depend on iron, as I've been told before my blood carries little iron on its own.

Guaranteed there are meatless alternatives that won't rob me of much needed protein and iron. I'm still interested in trying those recipes, and I am interested in incorporating tofu into my diet at some point.

Needless to say my bottom and hips filled out and my saddlebags poke out a little more. I'm sure that's what happens when you sit all day and eat crackers and cheese all day.

I know dreams typically don't mean anything, but the other morning I woke up dreaming about eating a juicy double cheeseburger with ketchup squirting out of each side of the sesame seeded bun. So I decided a Carl's Jr. teriyaki burger was in order. A burger never tasted so good..so right...so meaty.

1 comment:

John and Maren Williams said...

I didn't know you wanted to apply to the program? I would support you all the way! and if you have any questions in the mean time feel free to ask me! Really, whether itls program or food (vegetarianism) related.