Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sometimes you have to let it ride out.

So I tried something I've been meaning to do for years last night. While in my own company, I decided to try the egg white mask. It consists of purely the white of one egg and it is known for its ability to minimize pores, treat moderate acne, and soften your skin. I applied quite a bit and there was a lot of goop left over, so this is a perfect activity to share with another person. It took about ten minutes to completely dry and my face felt stiff, but after a warm wash and applying moisturizer, my face felt oh so great. Plus it was cheap.

I've also tried putting homemade oatmeal on my face a few years ago. It's pretty messy and makes you look scary, but the tradeoff is worth it. My skin was incredibly soft and helped ease irritation from the medication I was taking for acne.

I heard putting onion directly on a pimple has zapping powers. Don't worry-I tried that one too. All I remember was smelling like onions the next day, which doesn't fare well in jr. high. I don't recommend that one.

The best skin potion was introduced to me by my friend Johanna. Witch Hazel is an astringent for your skin that doesn't have any alcohol and is as gentle as aloe vera. Unfortunately I didn't bring my huge 44 oz container with me this summer, and my skin has been going through withdrawals. It's not too expensive and lasts forever. I've had my bottle for about three years.

My uncle actually suffered from extreme acne most of his life. His advice to me was to change my pillowcase every two or so days. That alone made my face clear up almost overnight.

I remember Kim Kardashian suggested sleeping on a silk pillowcase because it doesn't make weird wrinkles in your face or make your skin scrunch or pull as you sleep.

One of my young women's advisors forewarned our mia maids class not to touch our face during the day, and was adament in warning us not to rub our eyes when they are itchy or need massaging because the muscles surrounding our eyes are extremely delicate. Rubbing them excessively can cause stretching and wear to those muscles, which can make your eyes sag later in life.

As always, the best remedy is watching what you're putting in your mouth. Pretty much anything that's really high in fat and high in sugar will not do good things for your skin. As a self-professed sugar addict, learning that sugar produces puss in your sweat glands convinced me to rethink my cookie diet.

I know this information is being projected on deaf ears, as all my blog friends have magnificent skin. But this is knowledge according to me and I think having clear skin is life changing. I obsessed with products during my teenage years hoping for a miracle. Even though Accutane fixed everything, it's still important that I maintain what youth is left before I enter into the anti-wrinkle stage in my life. So like, next month since I'm almost 25. Sheesh.

No comments: