Monday, May 30, 2011

30 day challenges are kinda hard

I'm so much happier being Private you have no idea!! I sleep much better at night. So Sawyer has had his BIG surgery and is on a breathing tube and heavily sedated at the moment. Sunday morning, at 8:00 am, they wheeled him into the operating room. At 9:30 the surgeon (love him) came back to tell us the magnets just aren't going to work. His esophagus ends don't line up and the tissue is thicker than anticipated. We gave it a good effort, but he had no other choice but to cut Sawyer open and put him together sans magnets. As hard as that was for us to accept, Taylor and I are just ready to get him fixed. It took 6 hours plus one hour to get him settled into his bed space and hooked up to the bedside machines. So we were finally able to see him around 3:30 pm. Taylor had to work today, so at 6:30 he blessed him, got in his car and drove back home, wiping tears from his eyes.

The game plan as we know it is as follows: Keep him heavily sedated (paralyzed) for 5 days, let him wake up on his own, take him off the breathing tube either this Friday or Saturday, do a contrast study to see if he swallows dye correctly, if he passes then we can introduce the bottle, starting at low volumes and working to a full feed. When he can take a full feed in one sitting, then we can freakin' go home. So we're talking, like, two or three more weeks. That's like a blink of an eye compared to what I'm used to. The clouds just opened up and a ray of sunshine is bursting through this rainy Memorial Day. Memorable indeed.

4 comments:

sam and kyrsten said...

im so sorry things didnt go according to plan. i hope that you guys can go home and be together as a family like you should be soon. love you.

Gary and Mauri said...

Vanessa, thank you so much for sending me an invite to your blog. I have been checking it on occasion and have not yet left a comment, but feel better about doing so now that you're private, so here goes my novel!
First, I love that there is a special sort of bond between NICU moms, regardless of age, babies, or other circumstances. It was a pleasure talking to you at PCMC and I look forward to keeping updated on your cute little family.
Second, I am SO glad I got to see Sawyer that day we went back for Tanzi's follow up visit. He is about the dang cutest thing EVER!! And I'm a little jealous about his hair, seeing how he has more than my 3 yr old :)
Also, every NICU baby and family has a story. I loved going back and reading yours. Your faith and endurance in the little time I have known you has taught me SO much!! I have been thinking about you SO much the last couple days, knowing that Sawyer's surgery was supposed to be tomorrow. I am happy that he was able to have it early and that the difficulties with the magnets was figured out soon. Your little man is such a tough little fighter! Reading this most recent post brought tears to my eyes. I know what it is like to have your baby start eating from a bottle. There is SO much joy, even from a mere 10 mLs!! But I am most excited that your journey HOME is but baby steps away! I only had a small glimpse of what you and Taylor are experiencing and I can not even imagine what you must be feeling right now! Thank you so much (again) for sharing your blog and your experiences with me. You and Sawyer are quite the force to be reckoned with :)
Our blog will probably go back to private soon, so please email me your email address so I can send you an invite.
Also, I do realize this is ridiculously long, PLEASE feel free to delete this comment...no hard feelings!
Good luck! I can not wait to hear about Sawyer's progress!!

The Larsons said...

Vanessa,
You are amazing, strong, and a wonderful Mother (and Taylor a good Father)! I cannot comprehend the constant struggle you both go through! I remember being at Primary Childrens with my little brother for a month and it was awful to see Moms like you in there day after day..my heart ached for them as it aches for little Sawyer!
He will get through it! Think.. 3 more weeks & possibly a bottle will be feeding that beautiful handsome boy!! Stay strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephani said...

thanks for the invite to the blog. i hope im not too intrusive when i inquire as to how you guys are doing. and i hope you know we pray for you and taylor just as much as we do sawyer. we love you guys. and i hope its okay that i share the info from your blog with my mom, although she usually gets the info from her brother first :)
anyway, i am so happy to hear that he is healing, and im so excited for you to be able to take him home soon. im so happy that youre a part of our family and WE LOVE YOU!