Saturday, May 28, 2011

brief pause from 30 day challenge

I've been meaning to go private for a while. Especially since I've had a baby. But I didn't want to exclude anybody and wanted to create a friendly forum that everyone and anyone could access and enjoy.

I never realized how sacred privacy is until now. It is HUGE here at Primary's. Everybody is hush-hush about patient information and it's an unwritten rule that privacy is upheld and respected. Don't ask, don't tell basically.

I have found some people are curious about what's happening with Sawyer and although I appreciate their concern, it sometimes comes across as intrusive. I canceled my Facebook account thinking that would solve that little problem. But that didn't quite work. I've learned that random people are telling other random people information from reading my blog and I just decided to cut my losses and go Private. So here goes.

Sawyer's repair surgery was yesterday, May 27th. It was supposed to be June 1, and Japanese surgeons were supposed to come watch, but they didn't have enough frequent flyer miles so they decided not to come after all. It took about two hours, but it was successful. The magnets attached the two ends, so it was only a matter of waiting a few days for the two ends to fuse together by force.


We received a call early this morning from Sawyer's surgeon. Sometime in the night or morning, the magnets came apart, so we have to try to align them again, but this time keep Sawyer heavily sedated for 4 or 5 days so they don't loosen or separate. He doesn't go in to get that done until tomorrow (Sunday) morning. For now, we are snuggling him and trying to keep him happy and comfortable with magnets lodged in his two ends. Since this is a fairly new procedure (Sawyer is one of the first babies in the world to have this done), there is a lot of trouble-shooting taking place. If at the end of the day the magnets won't hold or keep coming apart, then we will resort to conventional surgery, which is by far more intrusive and serious. I have faith in our surgeon, that he will do what's best for our child and do it in a timely manner that allows us to take him home and care for him at home.

2 comments:

sam and kyrsten said...

i still pray for baby sawyer everyday. thanks for allowing me to peek into your personal space. i talked with richard today (and a few days ago) he told me a little about sawyers surgery. i hope that things go well tomorrow. we will say an extra prayer or two for you guys. i think you are wonderful and strong and sooo amazing. i hope all goes well! love to you!

Unknown said...

HOpefully no set backs!