Friday, January 15, 2010

sometimes I hate my parents for raising me to have amazing manners.

what a week. school's back in, and break flew by way too fast. It's good to have a routine, though, and so far, I'm loving my non-general classes. Now I remember why I'm doing the whole college thing.

Well this post is dedicated to a certain breed of people: people who lack social grace. I mean, no one is perfect, but if my two year old nephew can sign "hello, aunt Vanessa," any adult who's met me more than once should hopefully be able to acknowledge my existence too.

Incident #1. -
Taylor and I went to my parent's ward for Christmas Sunday and as we were sitting, waiting for the services to start, an old co-worker of mine walked in the chapel. We immediately made eye contact, and exchanged smiles. But I knew her really well (a few years ago, she voluntarily took me under her wing and voluntarily gave me older sisterly advice about boys, money, life in general. We discussed her depression a lot, and she kept in touch with me to let me know all the ways she was getting better. At one point, we were going to share an apartment together, but that fell through...But overall, she and I had a special bond) so I decided a simple smile wasn't enough. So I was like "How are you??!! Are you in this ward??" then immediately introduced her to my mom and husband. "We used to work together, a long long time ago" I told them. Then she was like, "Oh, yeah! Mrs. Powell's. A long time ago." Then amidst my excitement, she leans over cheek to cheek with me and asks, "Remind me, what's your name again?"

Incident #2 -
I was working at the mall the other night and as a polite employee, I'm like super cheesy nice when I'm at work. I will sometimes get overly chatty with customers, but I keep it under control. Kind of out of character, so I think it throws people off, and I can understand. SOO anyways this girl that I know, went to church with, yada yada, walks towards the counter and I'm like "Hey!! How are you??!!" And she's like, "Good.....(hesitates)....." and I'm like "So what's new, are you living in Pocatello now?" and she's like, "No........." and I'm like "No? Boise??!!!" and she's like "No........" and I can totally see in her face the confusion. She has no clue who I am. So I gave up. I finished getting her a glass of water and said "Ok have a good one" trying to make it not awkward. Yah, I'm creepy and like to ask all my customers personal questions. C'mon, get a clue girl!! So as she puts her straw in her cup, she says "Phillips....it's a Phillips." And I looked at her like, "uh, yeahh...." slightly annoyed.

When the first incident happened, my mind froze and my mouth was like "Vanessa!" like "duh!! hello!!! don't act like you don't know my name, girl who looked me up in the phone book to send me a wedding announcement!" Looking back on it, it probably sounded a little rude, but I was NOT expecting to be asked to remind her what my name was!! That's just tacky. I would have preferred her to take a seat, think about it during the service, and when she finally remembered, come back and be like, "So, Vanessa, how's married life?" since I LOVE that question.

Maybe it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer to learn and remember people's names, and then use it when I see them because it helps me connect to that person better. And the older I get, connecting to people is important to me. If remembering names is difficult, then try harder, or fake your way through it until it comes to ya. There is nothing more socially awkward than making the other person feel like they're forgotten, even if they truly are.

So, naturally, since it's the first week of school, I've been a little avoidant. Hello Jr high vanessa again. How will I know that if I say Hi to someone in passing or on the bus, they'll say Hi back, or just give me a confused blank stare? Fortunately, so far, it's been a breeze. So many polite people who brighten my day with their smile. I even had a stranger, who thought I was someone else but realized I wasn't that person, ask me how I was, and still told me to have a good day. That, to me, is class.

So after incident #2 happened, and she figured out that "it's a Phillips," (yep, that's me alright) she just turned around and walked off. No "Oh, hey!!", or "I feel stupid for not realizing who you were at first" or anything. And to me, that is a total insult. But looking back, I'm not too offended because she looked like she put her makeup on in the dark, so my guess is there's something seriously, and bigger than forgetting my face/name, wrong with her.

Am I totally old-fashioned, or what? Should I start wearing a name tag wherever I go just in case? Kinda silly, really. But if I can find a cute one from Etsy, I seriously would wear a name tag. ahh hilarious! Short term memory generation, what?!! nah...

6 comments:

stephani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephani said...

AH! I know what you mean. Nothing bothers me more than when a person introduces themself to me 5 times within a year.
And be thankful that your parents taught you great manners! For example, remember that time you recognized me and knew my face and name after seeing me only twice before...and Taylor didnt know who I was after 21 years of having me in his family?

haha :)

ps. i dont know why or how..but that first comment was mine and i deleted it. NO IDEA what i did.

John and Maren Williams said...

hahaha haha incident number one sucks! how on earth do you forget about someone you were going to get an apartment with?!

Rachel said...

I think you may want to invest in imbroidering your name on all of your tops...in a tasteful color of course! I am starting to forget names though... it's sad

sam and kyrsten said...

oh my heck i totally agree with you.

im so glad that you are classy like you are. i HATE it when people forget. ESPECIALLY if we have some kind of connection and they SHOULD REMEMBER! its so weird. I used to be a lot better than i am now. but seriously i try. its really annoying though. great way to put it.
I LOVE the talent that you mentioned in relief society on sunday, because its totally true! your an AWESOME writer! keep entertaining me please!?

vanessa said...

thanks guys, for validating me. I forgot to mention that I'm a name person. I'm the creepy girl who knows people's names without actually meeting them. I lOve when people introduce themselves 5 times a year, stephanie. how do they not remember!!

Maren, i started a new blog. remind me to tell you about it!!

Rachel-I didn't think of embroidering, which is actually in style anyways so that's a great idea. Would Tshirts Plus be the place to go?

Kyrsten- you can't not be the rs president anymore. you just got started. take it back!! j/k. You will surely be missed standing up front all pretty and lively with your cute shoes and humongo bag. thanks for all your help with the demonstration kitchen and hopefully your life is going wonderfully. and I hope you're getting some sleep now :)