Saturday, June 6, 2009

Musical gems

It's impossible to expect people to find the same kind of meaning behind my blog music as I do because I'll confess, I usually hit pause or mute when I'm reading other people's blogs. Music can be a bit distracting and I debate back and forth whether it's really necessary on my blog. It's not but I compromise by only choosing songs that really truly have significance in my life, and still affects me even if I play it over and over and over.......

That being said, here's why these ones have stuck.

Endlessly~I read my first Twilight book recently, New Moon, and Rachel mentioned that the Muse had a role in the process of writing the Twilight series. One of the best underrated bands ever.

The Dance~After watching So You Think You Can Dance, I youtube-ed Mia Michaels and she had choreographed a piece to this song. It took me a few times to get into this song, but the words stuck out to me so I added it anyway. Charlotte Martin's voice is so perfect sometimes I could cry.

Missed the boat~ I'm a huge Modest Mouse lover. Such clever lyrics and intrument collaborations. It played at the end of a Scrubs episode, which I've been watching lots of lately.

Lump Sum~ Breakout artist of the YEAR for me, Bon Iver. I love a man that can sing high like that with that much passion. When I die, I want this song to be played when I travel to the other side.

Use Somebody~I just randomly downloaded it on ITunes before we road tripped here. I would play it over and over in the car.

Strawberry Swing~From Coldplay's latest album. OKay I actually fell in love with it last summer, but everytime I hear it boosts my spirits and reminds me of the summertime.

Tell Me How- Kind of personal, but Sara Lov's lyrics and voice represent exactly how I feel sometimes when I feel like when there's dissonance in a relationship.

Gravity~Bic Runga is probably someone I would be best friends with. I tend to play her music when I spend Friday nights alone. She got me through highschool. I forget myself when I'm with you...

Oh No~ Another summer favorite. Reminds me of my last trip to Seattle when I was trying to get over a guy who had no idea how I felt about him. Surprise there. The lyrics are really simple, but the harmonies are amazing. I just like how it repeats "oh no!" over and over in a really mellow voice and the piano solo is exactly how my dad plays. Pound Pound Pound.

The Fight Song~ Ane Brun's voice is simple yet haunting at the same time. This song doesn't really have a signficance other than the fact that I put it on repeat for hours on those days when I feel like I've hit a wall. This doesn't do even touch the surface of her amazing talent. She's just that good.

Closer~Travis to me is like maybe Jack Johnson to others, but nothing like Jack Johnson. Maybe that was a crap comparison but I could listen to Travis all day, every season of the year. I like this song because A-it's mellow, which is my favorite, and B-I picture Fran Healy smiling during the entire song.

My playlist is always evolving and so in a month probably this post will mean nothing to you. But for now, hope it pleases you to know their influences on my life.

1 comment:

sam and kyrsten said...

you totally rock. but i want to know where in the world you are? are you guys selling or what? i wish you didnt move out of our ward. i felt like i never even got to see you because we were always gone and then wala.. your gone. (wait so am i)