Monday, June 22, 2009

How not to make cookies.

I've baked cookies maybe a million times. Today I decided to make chocolate chip cookies, but with a twist. Maren has an America's Test Kitchen chocolate chip cookie recipe that is to die for. ~
~
So I attempted to recreate those cookies without the actual recipe. For some reason I thought Maren said she melted the brown sugar and butter together until it comes to a boil. So I added it to the egg/sugar mixture, then added the flour mixture. So far, not too bad. Then I added the chocolate chips, but only half the bag because I prefer cookies without too much chocolate.
~
~
Suddenly the chips disappeared and the dough became dark brown with a fudge-like consistency. So I thought I'd let it cool down and proceed from there. Twenty minutes later, I added the second half of the bag to the already cholately mixture and continued to roll and dot the cookie sheet with it. I baked them and they turned out kinda normal looking.
~
As they cooled they totally fell flat as a pancake and the middles were gooey with burnt edges. Oh and they tasted like crap. There goes my cookie stand business idea.

4 comments:

stephani said...

HAHAHA! Oh Vanessa...I should show you a picture of the angel food cake I made for my mom on Mother's Day...WOW. You would feel a little bit better about your cookies. WHO KNEW that angel food cake multiplies to 52 times the size of the batter when baked?!

Rachel said...

Oh my, it's always fin to make a mess that doesn't turn out. And I could have told steph about angel food cake! Oh and they also fall and become cement

stephani said...

Oh...now she tells me :) HA Vanessa don't give me that old fogey crap! You're full of it! My husband will be 26 this year. You're not old. I probably shouldn't have posted that in all my frustration, but oh well! Like you said, I just keep feeling like I'm in a race and I don't like toe feeling of pressure because I definitely am not ready for a baby any time soon!
Anyway, haha..funny. I set Jen up with my best friend from high school who got home in March. Umm..perhaps a little too early. He was kind of awkward and not as cool or as much fun as I remember him being haha. But we still had fun. I kind of felt like I was on a date with Jenna myself. We rode fourwheelers up the canyon and made a fire. Then it started to rain. We had some AMAZING tin foil dinners and roasted marshmallows. All around, it was fun. But it definitely could have worked out better...not to mention the flat tire I got on my way home that day! KIND OF disastrous!

sam and kyrsten said...

sam makes fun of me everyday for my cake batter with chopped up banana cookies... hey i thought it sounded like a great idea!