Monday, June 7, 2010

paradox

We watched "Last Comic Standing" tonight. Show is hilarious. My favorite so far is the old guy with coke bottle glasses and a blank stare. Reminds me of someone I know but can't place right now.

I can't help but wonder what is behind the jokes, though. Funny people aren't always as happy as they seem.

Growing up, I could get my mom rolling, just by telling her the crappy things I had to go through at school. And it made me laugh too. But sometimes I wonder if laughing about no one showing up to my birthday party once is really self-destructive behavior.

When I was three, I pooped my pants while on vacation. My dad was probably annoyed, so he stopped and looked for a laundromat to wash my clothes. I remember the lady at the counter was ethnic, and so to prevent any misinterpretation, my dad held my panties open, with both hands, exposing my muddy poo clinging on for dear life.

I don't remember purposely pooping in my panties, but I do remember instantly being embarrassed, ashamed of upsetting my dad to the point of showing something so personal to a complete stranger. I'm shy now, but I was pretty fragile then.

Sometimes, when I'm having a good hair day, I remember the class bully announcing to the class out of nowhere that my eyebrows didn't match my hair. When I'm feeling fit and energetic, I remember weighing myself in front of the class in PE, and my partner announcing my weight (when I was 30 lbs heavier).  When I'm feeling on top of my game, the pink poopy panties always come back and haunt me. And I am humbled.

But I think that's the charm of it all--putting painful memories into perspective and realizing the hilariousness that makes for awesome stories later. It brings people together to know they share a piece of traumatic experiences that helps shape our character. Whether it's funny or not, I think being able to confront your issues is healthy behavior. As horrible as this sounds, nothing makes me laugh harder than people telling their most embarrassing stories. Anyone who can expose their poopy panties to me is my instant friend.

1 comment:

sam and kyrsten said...

when i worked at mrs powells. i had to pee so bad. this old man wouldnt make up his mind about what he wanted. i sneezed and then i peed. right then 5 guys from high school walked up to me and started talking. i thought i would die. seriously kill over and die.i had to tie two aprons around my front and back until my mom could bring me some new pants! :) so wonderful...